Once you get out of the torture chair, you can get up and walk around the room.
So, here is detailed instructions on how to do it:
- Push the right analog stick down on the Xbox 360 controller until you see the chair straps. Press the left trigger and the right trigger repeatedly until the straps break and your character stands up.
- Push the right stick down on the PlayStation 3 controller until you see the chair straps. Press the "L2" and "R2" buttons repeatedly until the straps break and the character stands.
- Shake the remote and nunchuk repeatedly until the character stands in the Nintendo Wii version.
- Move the mouse down in the PC version until you see the chair straps. Click the left and right mouse buttons repeatedly until the straps break and the character stands up.
- And finally, Press the "L" and "R" shoulder buttons repeatedly until the character stands in the Nintendo DS version.
Update: After freeing Alex Mason and walking around the room, I found out that there is a computer in the room, allowing you to interface with Mason's email messages and such. It is a terminal. Not necessarily a Linux shell, but a terminal nonetheless. You can even see email like messages between Jason Hudson and Mason. This is what I call cool. I'll look into this later.